Job Title: Preschool Early Intervention Special Education Teacher - Long Term Substitute
To evaluate and deliver special education services to young children in Preschool Early Intervention early intervention classrooms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Select, administer, and interpret current standardized assessment tools for preschool-age children to accurately identify their needs. Report assessment information clearly and accurately in ERs, and follow program and state guidelines for qualifying children for services.
2. Schedule and complete in-depth evaluations based on the results of the screening/evaluation and/or a review of available records.
3. Develop appropriate IEPs based on evaluation results and the needs of the child within timelines. Schedule IEP meetings and send invitation to all required participants.
4. Instruct individuals, small group, and large group, including typically developing peers.
5. Plan lessons embedding specially designed instruction; connect Pa Early Learning Standards for Pre-K and children's IEP goals to the lesson plan.
6. Evaluate and monitor all students' progress (including the integration children) based on assessments, data collection, input from related service providers, and observation.
7. Collaborate with all personnel/consultants delivering services in order to implement the specially designed instruction to meet all goals.
8. Effectively collaborate with parents/guardians and outside professionals to offer support for the continued implementation of specially designed instruction.
9. Demonstrate an understanding of early childhood curriculum and the ability to make adaptations and modifications to meet individual needs.
10. Accommodate families who are observing and/or calling about possible placement.
11. Prepare duties and provide guidance for paraprofessionals related to duties within the classroom and with working with the children.
12. Coordinate the transition process for children preparing to enter kindergarten programs.
1. Valid PA certification in Special Education PK-8/PK-12 required
2. Valid PA certification in Early Childhood PK-4 preferred
3. Experience working with the preschool population in Early Childhood Environments preferred
4. Effective verbal and written communication skills
5. Ability to build trust and positive working relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholder groups
6. Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, while remaining logical and interpersonal
7. Excellent collaboration and leadership skills
8. Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
9. Self-motivator, independent, cooperative, flexible, creative, and responsible
10. Ability to travel throughout the County required
11. Ability to comply with the AIU Conduct policy
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Disclaimer: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of this position.
Reports To: Supervisor
Department: Preschool Early Intervention
Position Schedule: Length of leave
Salary: $150.00/day (BS) $170.00/day (MS)
Benefits: Per the Long Term Substitute Benefit Guide (Includes individual benefits at no cost to employee, PSERS, mileage as applicable and more)
To Apply: Create an on-line application and upload a cover letter, resume, PA Certificate (if applicable) and transcripts at the
Please send any questions to:
The Allegheny Intermediate Unit is an equal opportunity education institution and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, handicap, or limited English proficiency in its educational programs, services, facilities, activities or employment practices as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Section 504 Regulations of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1975, Section 204 Regulations of the 1984 Carl D. Perkins Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or any other applicable federal or state statute.